Pinkglow® Almond Shortbread Cookies
For the Almond Shortbread Cookies:
• 1 cup softened butter
• 1 egg
• ⅔ cup granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ teaspoon almond extract
• 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
• ¼ teaspoon salt
For the Pinkglow® Pineapple Jam:
• 1 Pinkglow® pineapple (crushed, ~2 ½ cups)
• ¾ cup water
• 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon lemon juice
• 2 teaspoons cornstarch
To make the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 1-2 cookie sheets with parchment paper, set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, use a hand mixer to whip the softened butter until smooth.
- Add sugar and beat for ~1 minute until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, extracts and salt. Mix until combined, then scrape down the bowl once complete.
- Add flour, 1 cup at a time, mixing between each addition. Beat until a dough forms (mixture will start off grainy, but will combine into a dough after 1-2 minutes of mixing).
- Use your hands to work the dough into a ball and place it on to a clean, well-floured surface.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness (add more flour as needed so the dough doesn’t stick).
- Use a 3-4” round cookie cutter to cut all of the dough into even circles.
- Place the cookies on to the lined cookie sheet and use a smaller (1 inch or less in diameter, heart, circle or star-shaped) cookie cutter to cut out the center of *half* of the cookies.
- Bake the cookies for 14-16 minutes or until the bottoms begin to brown.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and dust the top cookies (those with smaller cutouts) with powdered sugar. Set them aside to cool while you make the jam.
To make the jam:
- Chop the Pinkglow® Pineapple into 1-2 inch cubes and pulse them in a food processor to create 2-2 ½ cups of crushed pineapple.
- Place the crushed pineapple, sugar, water, lemon juice and corn starch in a medium saucepan and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Stir every 3-5 minutes to avoid burning on the edges. Cook until the mixture thickens.
- Once thickened, remove the jam from heat and allow it to set at room temperature (or place it in the fridge to set more quickly). Mixture will thicken more as it cools.
To assemble the cookies:
- Spoon 3-4 teaspoons of jam on to the bottom half of the shortbread cookie, then place the cutout cookie on top and press lightly.
- Store at room temperature and enjoy!